Friday, April 25, 2014

Adding and Subtracting Multiples of 10

Earlier this week, I linked up for Wordless Wednesday and posted this picture of one of my students favorite games:
 

 
They absolutely love to make "hundred grid puzzles" for each other on their personal whiteboards.  This is where they draw just a part of the hundred chart for a partner and place several "clue numbers" around the board in the appropriate spots.  They love challenging each other and I love this game because it really gets both students playing thinking about +10, -10, +1, and -1 number relationships.
 
We've been working on adding and subtraction 10 and multiples of 10 for a while in my class.  This  concept tends to either come naturally or be extremely difficult for individual students to master.  There is a new product I created to help students practice adding and subtracting 10 and multiples of 10.  Click on any of the pictures or the link at the bottom of this post to grab your own copy!


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Adding-and-Subtracting-Multiples-of-10-1st-Grade-Common-Core-Aligned-1220378

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Adding-and-Subtracting-Multiples-of-10-1st-Grade-Common-Core-Aligned-1220378
I included hundred grid puzzles with and without a hundred chart.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Adding-and-Subtracting-Multiples-of-10-1st-Grade-Common-Core-Aligned-1220378
Counting back and forward by 10's.

Fast facts!  I cut these apart and have students use small sand timers (from board games) to see if they can finish the slip before the timer runs out!

Adding multiples of 10-students draw the base 10 blocks to solve.

Subtracting multiples of 10-students cross off base 10 blocks to solve.
 
This is my first year I used this product and with this extra practice, more of my students have mastered adding 10 and multiples of 10 mentally than any other year!
 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment